A team of 16 AmeriCorps members will provide focused and strategic intervention in the form of academic tutor and mentor support to at risk and struggling students in Port Angeles and Crescent School Districts, kindergarten through high school levels, during school and after school and during a four-week summer session.
Days/Hours of Service:
September 1st, 2017-July 2018. Full time (a minimum of 1700 hours; 40 hours per week). Living allowance for service term. Segal AmeriCorps Education Award available on successful completion of service.
Members are expected to arrive before assigned school begins which might be as early as 7:30 a.m.; after school programs may run until 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday, throughout the school year and four week summer session. There will be opportunities for evening and weekend special projects.
Service Location Description:
Port Angeles, Washington is located in the upper northwest tip of the United States in the heart of Olympic National Park, bordered by the Straits of Juan de Fuca, and across the water from Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
The program will provide individual member placement in one of nine school locations, including two additional afterschool locations, in Port Angeles, Washington.
The Port Angeles School District is organized into three levels with five elementary schools serving students in kindergarten through grade 6, one middle school serving grades 7-8, a high school serving students in grades 9-12, and an alternative high school serving grades 9-12.
The elementary schools range in size from 250 students to approximately 400 students. They provide a strong basic education, with special programs in a variety of remediation and enrichment areas.
Port Angeles has one middle school, Stevens Middle School, which serves approximately 600 students. The middle school program, while having a strong basic education focus, includes classes in band, orchestra, chorus, computers, home economics, foreign language and vocational education.
Port Angeles High School is an accredited, comprehensive high school that serves approximately 1,200 students in grades 9-12. The high school meets the unique needs of each student by offering a variety of programs in the areas of special education, vocational education, and advanced placement courses for college-bound students.
Lincoln High School is an alternative high school where students are given the opportunity, understanding and encouragement they need to receive a quality education in a safe, healthy environment.
Crescent School District is a nearby school district (Joyce, WA), kindergarten through grade 12, which has entered an AmeriCorps partnership with the PASD.
The Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction notes the 2013-14 free and reduced lunch rate in the Port Angeles School District as averaging 52.5%; its elementary schools rate range from 70% at Dry Creek to 54% at Hamilton. Selected students served by AmeriCorps are often those that come from low-income households based on free and reduced lunch eligibility.
AmeriCorps members’ service will focus on tutor mentor activities for at risk or struggling students. Members will provide one-on-one and small group academic support during the school day in the classroom or dedicated tutoring area as assigned by school principal(s). Support focus may be in the areas of reading, writing, math or science.
Responsibilities and Related Tasks:
- Provide academic and mentor support to students who have been identified as needing support.
- Work with building principal to create a consistent schedule that allows connection with students.
- Engage with core students to increase their classroom engagement, attendance, and academic skills.
- Provide after school support to at risk and struggling students as part of an organized program.
- Communicate weekly with school principal and/or program coordinator as needed.
- Attend Port Angeles School District AmeriCorps team meetings as scheduled.
- Assist with required program recordkeeping, time sheeting, quarterly reports as needed.
- Participate in Port Angeles School District AmeriCorps team activities, training and service projects.
Required or Desired Qualifications:
- Bachelor or Associate’s Degree, preferably in the areas of social service, education or a related field
- Previous community service experience
- U.S. Citizen, National or Lawful Permanent Resident
- 18 years old at the start of service
- Pass criminal history checks (NSOPR, State criminal history and FBI fingerprint)
- Valid Driver’s license, access to reliable transportation and proof of adequate vehicle insurance coverage
- Experience working with children, teens, preferably at risk youth
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school staff, students, parents, community representatives and the general public
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Flexibility, enthusiastic, creative, open-minded
- Ability to work independently without adult supervision and as part of a team
- Strong computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and email software
- Strong teamwork capabilities and leadership skills
- Strong, consistent work habits; commitment to being on time, dependable
- All positions will abide by AmeriCorps Prohibited Activities as in the Member Service Agreement
- Commitment to the Port Angeles School District AmeriCorps program and its impact on schools and the community
To apply for Port Angeles School District AmeriCorps positions, visit My AmeriCorps website: http://tinyurl.com/PASDAmericorps.
It is very important for an applicant to create an AmeriCorps profile. Your profile is an overview of general information about yourself, and the skill sets you possess. Creating a profile allows you to save all program opportunities in which you are interested and to actually submit an application.
Our Program name: Port Angeles School District AmeriCorps; location: Washington
- Register via “Apply to Serve” link.
- Create Profile.
- Fill out application.
- Save. Search for us! Send an application via My AmeriCorps.
Read more about AmeriCorps: Corporation for National & Community Service